So you’ve decided to start sewing and you have all kinds of sewing materials lying around. If you’re looking for a handy basket to organize all your sewing equipment, you’re on the right track. Today we will go through some really nifty sewing boxes and baskets. This is a list of sewing baskets showcasing various types and styles of sewing baskets and boxes, to give you nice ideas for what to get, based on the level of sewing expertise you may or may not have.
Before choosing a basket or box, ask yourself what type or style of sewing basket do you want. Is it for your desk, will you pack it away in a cupboard or do you want something to clear up clutter? I have notes for each basket so that you will be able to choose the perfect sewing basket in no time.
Large Wooden Sewing Box With A Double Lid:
HobbyGift MRLTLE8 Sewing Box
- Make: HobbyGift
- Size: 22 x 22 x 14cm (inside), 25 x 25 x 17cm (External)
- Color: grey with white polka dots (the image makes it look like a mauve color but it is a pale grey)
- Two corded handles that are comfortable to use and collapsible
- Double lid that can be closed and opened one at a time
- Removable plastic tray with separators
- Pin cushion attached to the lid
- Elastic pocket on the the inside of the lid
There is something about organic material that is so much more compared to artificial materials. This box is made with wood, the inside is lined with polyester and the fabric on the outside is a cotton blend. I have added a short list of specifications for you to quickly go through.
This is one of my favourites. Great for seasoned sewists and beginners. It is a large sewing basket so keep an eye on the dimensions but fully worth your while. If you are looking to buy a sewing basket for your friend or family this would make a lovely gift too.
Very honestly none.
Sewing Basket For Beginners, with Sewing Kit Accessories:
SINGER 07281 Vintage Sewing Basket with Sewing accessories
- Made by: Singer
- Measures: 10.5 x 8 x 6 inches
- Color: vintage print and there are two variations of the colors
- Fully collapsible handle
- A removable plastic tray
- Sewing supplies:
- 10 needles
- 100 sewing pins
- one pair of scissors
- 10 small spools of thread
- threader for your needles
- seam opener
- 1 measuring tape
- 1 thimble
Here is a singer sewing basket with the basics already in the basket. There are a few specs for you to decide whether or not this is the one you want to buy. I would use this for my everyday basic sewing threads and scissors. If you are a beginner sewist you may want to check out our guide for beginner sewists on how to do basic hand stitches for beginners or if you want more help read this guide on the best sewing books for beginners.
I looked through many reviews for this product and came to one conclusion. Buy it for the box, not for its contents. The threads, scissors and the rest of the stuff is complimentary and not the best quality. The contents are more a gimmick than legitimate sewing supplies. Still, I highly recommend this for beginners, and for storage.
Large Sewing Basket For All levels of sewers (metal handle):
Dritz St. Jane Sewing Basket
- Made by: Dritz
- Colour: Vintage print
- Material: Wood (box), handle made with metal
- Shape: oval
- Magnetic button (for the lid)
- Plastic, removable tray with separators
- Pincushion and elastic pocket
Here is a pretty vintage sewing basket that is a little bigger than the one above. It would make for an awesome gift as well as a personal organiser. The basket has a plastic tray that is for all your smaller sewing equipment. If you’re into knitting instead this sewing basket can be used for your wool balls and knitting needles too.
None except that the handle makes it a little difficult to store in a cupboard.
Extra-Large Sewing Basket/Box:
Creative Store Large Three Drawer Organization System
- Made by: Creative Options
- Colour: Pastel Pink
- Material: Plastic
- Dimensions 21.25 x 12 x 12 inches
- There are three removeable trays on the lid
- The lid has a transparent cover making it easy to see what you want
- There is a front cover that opens like a door, inside are three drawers and a small cupboard like compartment on the side
If I was to buy myself a sewing organiser this one would be my number one choice. Note, I do a serious amount of sewing when I get down to it and have all kinds of equipment. I would not recommend this organiser for beginners.
This one is almost twice the size of the first sewing basket on this list. If you are looking for an extra-large sewing basket or organiser here it is. All your sewing supplies should fit into this one. I feel like I’m drooling as I look at this one.
Small Sewing Basket, with Collapsible container- Best sewing basket for travelling:
Everything Mary Collapsible Sewing Basket
- Made by: Everything Mary
- Colour: Dark Grey
- Material: Polyester
- Measures: 10 x 6 x 6 inches
- They have a full refund policy which is nice
- The cover has a zipper closure
- One internal pocket (very small)
- One small pincushion attached to the lid (on the inside)
- There is no removable tray which means you’ll have a lot of space to fit all your basic sewing supplies
- Fully collapsible (look at the image)
- Small handle on the lid for comfortable carrying
Another beginner-friendly cute sewing basket/organizer. This one is small and great for collecting all your sewing equipment in one place. It is only 10 by 6 inches so it would be easy to stow away in a cupboard.
It’s affordable and durable. The best part is that you can fold it and pack it easily if you need to. Being that its so small and collapsible, its a great sewing basket for travelling or if you intend to move around with your sewing kit.
It is small and there is no removable tray for extra organization.
Sewing Box With Wheels: Great sewing basket for travelling too (if you don’t mind extra luggage)
Everything Mary Deluxe Sewing Storage Case
- Made by: Everything Mary
- Colour: Pink & Grey
- Material: Polyester padded material
- CollapsibleDimensions: 17.5 x 10 x 17.5 inches
- This sewing box/basket is more like a suitcase so it comes with
- extendable handle
- Full refund policy which is good because it is a pricey item
- Security strap to keep your machine in place and secure
- An outside pocket for storage
- Inside there are transparent pockets with ample space for all your sewing supplies
A perfect bag for travelling. This is a next-level sewing basket right here. You can not only store your sewing equipment but also your sewing machine. The bag has legs and wheels. It comes with a strap for securing your machine.
Perfect for travelling and transporting your sewing machine with your sewing supplies. The sewing machine is not included and you can use it to store all your sewing supplies when you are not transporting your sewing machine.
My favourite part is the size. It is so nice and spacious, when you’re not travelling you can use it to store all your sewing equipment.
It is more for travelling than for everyday sewing use.
Wicker Sewing Basket/Woven Sewing Basket:
Dritz Sewing Basket
- Made by: Dritz
- Dimensions: 9-1/2″ x 7-1/2″ x 6-1/2″
- Shape: Oval
- There is a small pincushion on the inside of the lid with a small elasticated pouch
- The lid closes with a magnetic button
- A collapsible handle
- A removable tray and transparent
It’s a cute woven basket that would look lovely on your sewing table. You can also use this for knitting instead of sewing. And it would be great for beginners and pro sewists alike.
There are no other colours for this product.
Large Wooden Sewing Box With Legs:
Hobbygift Cantilever 3-Tier Wooden Sewing Box with Legs
- Made by: HobbyGift
- Dimensions: 16.54 x 8.27 x 17.13 inches
- Material: Wood
- 5 large compartments, 4 are large and the base compartment is extra large
- The design is made in way that makes all your sewing suppplies fully acsessble
- When the storage unit is closed it can be used like a small table
- Big enough for all your sewing supplies
- The wooden legs make it perfect as a standalone storage unit that you can reach into while at your work station
If you want a table like storage compartment that can be kept near your sewing desk then this will be perfect. You can store all your sewing supplies in an accessible way and keep all unnecessary clutter off your workspace.
Because the sewing box is made with legs you won’t be able to move around too much.
Large Sewing Storage Bag with Shoulder Strap:
Luxja High Capacity Sewing Accessories Organizer
- Made by: LUXJA
- Material: Nylon with padding
- Dimensions: 11.5 x 8 x 8 inches
- The main compartment has a detachable divider for spools of thread (padded)
- The front storage section has elasticated pouches, and pen holders for organization
- There are three pockets on the inside
- Two pockets on either side of the bag for threads
- A detachable strap that can be used over the shoulder or use for hand carrying
This would be a great travel bag and storage bag for all your sewing equipment. Keep everything in one place with this sewing basket. If you are looking for a basket to store all your sewing supplies in one place then this one is big enough to keep everything, well organized and more importantly, very accessible.
When I choose a sewing basket of any kind I always look at the accessibility I’ll have after everything has been stowed away. Meaning, the basket shouldn’t just be like any random box, where you can neatly pile everything on top of each other and then make a mess looking for that one thread at the bottom. You should be able to easily access whatever you want freely, without making a mess of the rest of the items stored.
Before you make a purchase, look at the organization and accessibility of each sewing basket and box.
It is quite sizeable and might not fit readily on a small desk.
Vintage sewing box:
Handmade Linden Wood Keepsake, Poland Wood Art
- Made by: PolishArt
- Material: Hardwood
- Dimensions: 6.25 x 6.25 x 3.15 inches
- The lid is decorated with scissors, buttons and a thimble
- The box is hand made and hand carved
This lovely handmade wooden box is perfect for a gift to your loved one or a desk-top sewing box. You can fit in the basic sewing supplies and keep it not only as a storage box but as a vintage decoration too. With all the plastic and polyester these days if you are looking for a more authentically vintage sewing box then this is the one for you.
It is small and does not have an organization tray.
Modern sewing basket:
SINGER 01521 ProSeries Sew Kit
- Colour: Black and Pink
- Made by: Singer
- Dimesions: 8 inch x 10.5 inch x 6 inch
- There are three prints with
- It comes with some basic sewing supplies:
- marking pencil
- slap-on wrist pincushion
- sewing gauge
- 8.5 inch ProSeries fabric scissors
This is a very affordable sewing kit that I highly recommend for beginners. You’ll get the very basic supplies and a cute little basket to organize all your sewing stuff. A great sewing basket for pro sewists as well looking for a desk organiser. I chose this one as some of us would prefer a sewing basket that does not have a lid. A great option for a sewing desk so you can reach for your sewing supplies as you work without opening and closing a cover.
This one does not have a cover, it is an open sewing basket.
I think I’ve been sewing for over two decades now. Although I may not be a professional sewist, I do have enough experience to point out some solid sewing advice. I hope you find something that piques your interest in this list.
These are all sewing baskets and organisers I would purchase. If I could I’d get them all. Practically though, choose one according to your own requirements and budget. I realize not all of us want to spend too much money on storage, so I hope you find a good mix of different prices as well. Happy sewing.